Natural Health and Beauty Product Terminology

Get clear definitions on terminologies that you may come across on our site and have a better understanding of your Zen Principle products.

Adsorption - when substances only stick or adhere to the surface of an adsorbent element. 

Anti-aging - Products or treatments that claim to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging.

BCAA - Branched-Chain Amino Acids are a group of three essential amino acids namely leucine, isoleucine, and valine. BCAA supplements are commonly taken in order to boost muscle growth and enhance exercise performance. 

Botox - A brand name for a type of toxin that can be injected into the skin to temporarily paralyze certain muscles, reducing the appearance of wrinkles.

Certified USDA Organic -  ingredients are certified organic by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) if they are free of synthetic additives such chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and must not undergo any process involving industrial chemicals, irradiation, or genetic modification.

Collagen - a protein that is made up of amino-acids glycine, hydroxyproline, arginine, and proline. It gives strength and elasticity to our skin, hair, and nails.

Cosmeceutical - A term used to describe cosmetic products that contain active ingredients that are said to have a medicinal benefit.

Dermal filler - A substance that is injected into the skin to add volume, plumpness, or smoothness.

Desiccated Beef Liver - beef liver that had its moisture removed.

Essential Amino Acids - are amino acids that cannot be produced by our body and can only be obtained through diet. The essential amino acids are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine. The best sources of essential amino acids are animal proteins like meat, eggs, and poultry. 

Exfoliation - The process of removing dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.

Food Grade - is used to describe the tools, supplies, and equipment that are of substantial quality for food production, food storage, or food preparation purposes. 

GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) - any substance that is intentionally added to food is a food additive, that is subject to premarket review and approval by the FDA, unless the substance is generally recognized, among qualified experts, as having been adequately shown to be safe under the conditions of its intended use, or unless the use of the substance is otherwise excepted from the definition of a food additive. 

Grass-Fed -  any of the cattle family like beef cattle, bison, sheep and dairy cows that have been provided a natural diet and were allowed to graze for their own fresh food. 

GMP - Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) is a procedure that ensures products are consistently produced, manufactured and in accordance with specific quality standards

Halal - denoting or relating to meat prepared as prescribed by Muslim law.

Hydration - The process of keeping the skin moisturized and hydrated.

Kosher - (of food, or premises in which food is sold, cooked, or eaten) satisfying the requirements of Jewish law.

Microdermabrasion - A procedure that uses tiny crystals or a diamond-tip wand to gently exfoliate the skin and remove dead cells.

Paraben - A type of preservative that is commonly used in cosmetics and personal care products to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.

Protein Powder Isolate - a dietary supplement and food ingredient created by separating components from milk.

Protein Powder Concentrate - when a protein concentration is achieved, the liquid can be dried to form the protein powder concentrate which is 80% protein by weight, and the remaining 20% consists of fats and carbohydrates.

Retinol - A type of Vitamin A that is used in anti-aging and acne products.

Leave your comment