Morning coffee with a shot of healthy glowing skin? Yes, please. The hot new trend of adding collagen to your coffee has framed the ingredient in a whole new light. Collagen has been associated with expensive wrinkle creams for a long time. But now, collagen supplements are making a comeback as the new ingredient that could replace the cream in your coffee.
Adding a flavorless ingredient to your coffee that helps you get better skin, healthier joints, and so many other benefits seems like the best way to start your morning. But is it really that simple? Read on as we discuss why you should be adding collagen to your coffee, how you should do it, and some bonus collagen coffee recipes.
Is it Safe to Add Collagen to My Coffee?
Let’s start by addressing the most common question asked about this new trend; is it safe to add collagen to my coffee? And will it even make a difference?
The short answer to this question is a resounding Yes!
For the long answer, we’ll have to take a deeper look into how collagen powders are made and what happens when you add collagen powder to your coffee.
How are Collagen Powders Made?
Collagen is the protein-rich connective tissue found between the bones of different animals. When collagen is heated to about 160 degrees F, it turns into another compound called gelatin (the thing that puts the ‘wiggle’ in Jell-O). Gelatin is also referred to as ‘denatured’ collagen because it is composed of bundles of collagen that have been broken down into basic collagen molecules. Most collagen powders are made by dehydrating gelatin.
During manufacturing, collagen powders go through a process called hydrolysis where the proteins are broken down into individual amino acid chains (collagen peptides) so they are easily dissolvable in hot liquids and other food items without forming a gel.
What Happens When Collagen Powder is Added to Coffee?
Collagen powder is denatured during the manufacturing process which means it is already broken down into individual collagen molecules. When you add collagen to your coffee it quickly dissolves and acts almost like a creamer but without any added flavor or change to the consistency of your hot brew.
Powdered collagen still holds all the same benefits as other forms of gelatin which means as soon as you consume it, your body uses the added peptides to build and maintain its structures, hormones, and enzymes.
Does the Heat in Coffee Make the Collagen Useless?
Degradation is a process whereby collagen is destroyed when exposed to heat. Naysayers often quote this as one of the reasons why it is useless to add collagen powder to your coffee.
However, research suggests that for collagen degradation to happen, the ingredient has to be exposed to temperatures above 572 °F. Unless you’re vaporizing your coffee, the maximum temperature you could be brewing your coffee at is around 200 °F (normal brewed coffee reaches a temperature of 185 °F).
This means the collagen powder added to your coffee maintains its structure and gives you all the benefits it promises.
Why Should You Add Collagen to Your Coffee?
Collagen is a structural protein that is found in our skin, joints, ligaments, and tendons. It plays an important role in keeping our skin, hair, and nails looking healthy, our joints and muscles functioning properly, and more.
However, starting in our mid-twenties our body starts to lose collagen which leads to wrinkles, saggy skin, lackluster hair, creaky joints, and more. This is where collagen supplements can help boost the natural reserves of collagen in your body.
And what better way to take collagen supplements than to add them to your morning coffee. Here are some other reasons why you should consider giving it a try.
Get Your Collagen Fix Early in the Day
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Getting your collagen fix in early morning coffee means you get all the intrinsic benefits of collagen while feeling more energetic for the rest of the day.
Meet Your Weight Loss Goals
Both caffeine and collagen are very good appetite suppressants. Hence, collagen coffee is a great way to stick to your diet and achieve your weight goals easily. Collagen coffee is ideal for people who are doing intermittent fasting or low-carb, high-protein diets since the collagen would add the required protein without adding calories.
Get Creative With Your Coffee
The best thing about collagen powders is that they are flavorless. So you can add them to any kind of coffee without worrying about changes in taste. This also gives you the opportunity to get as creative with your coffee as you like. Collagen pairs well with everything so you can add additional flavors, sweeteners, butter, and more to your collagen coffee.
How to Add Collagen to Your Coffee (or Tea)?
- Brew your coffee any way you like
- Add about 10-20 grams of your favorite collagen powder
- Stir until the powder dissolves in your coffee
- Add any other ingredients you like
- Enjoy your hot cup of collagen coffee!
Collagen Coffee Recipes
You can add collagen powder to any kind of coffee you like. Browse through some of our favorite recipes to make a cup of joe that has numerous health benefits as well.
- Water -- 1 cup
- Coffee of your choice (ground) -- 1.5 tbsp
- Zen Principle Beef Collagen Peptides -- 1-3 tsp
- Natural Sweetener (optional) -- 1 tsp
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the coffee and sweetener into a cup.
- Pour boiling water into the cup.
- Add the collagen peptides.
- Stir to combine everything and enjoy.
- Hot brewed espresso of your choice -- ⅓ cup
- Milk of your choice -- ½ cup
- Zen Principle Marine Collagen Peptides -- 1-3 tsp
- Heat the milk using a milk steamer until it is just about to boil (you’ll see small bubbles forming around the edge of the cup)
- Use a metal whisk to whisk the milk until you see some foam forming.
- Scoop out the foam to a separate cup and keep whisking it until you have around ⅓ cup of foam.
- Pour the brewed espresso into a cup.
- Add the collagen powder to the cup and stir to dissolve it.
- Pour the remaining milk on top of the collagen espresso mixture.
- Add the prepared foam on top and sip away.
Collagen Cafe Latte
- Hot brewed espresso of your choice -- ⅓ cup
- Milk of your choice -- ½ cup
- Zen Principle Beef Gelatin Powder -- 1-3 tsp
- Create ⅛ to ¼ cup foam using the process described in the previous recipe.
- Add hot brewed espresso to a cup.
- Add collagen to the espresso and mix until dissolved.
- Add hot milk on top of the espresso-collagen mixture.
- Add the foam on top with a spoon and enjoy your collagen latte.
Collagen Bulletproof Coffee
- Hot brewed coffee of your choice -- 1cup
- Coconut oil or MCT oil of your choice -- 1-3tsp
- Grassfed butter -- 1tsp
- Zen Principle Marine Collagen Peptides -- 1-3tsp
- Brew your favorite coffee blend in any way you like.
- Combine the coffee with all the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 30 sec or until everything is fully combined.
Note: Make sure you cover the blender with a towel, beware the coffee will be really hot so handle it with care
- Pour the coffee blend into a cup, sprinkle extra flavor on top (spice, cocoa, or any other flavor)
- Enjoy your hot cup of collagen bulletproof coffee.
Collagen is great for your body. Quality collagen peptides cannot only reduce visible signs of aging but also help relieve joint discomfort and aid in inflammation management. Adding collagen powder to your coffee is a great way to add collagen to your diet. The flavorless compound allows you to enjoy your favorite brew without worrying about changes in the taste or consistency. When it comes to adding collagen to your coffee, there really is no downside.