As we age, our bodies naturally produce less collagen, which can lead to a variety of issues such as joint pain, wrinkles, and weakened bones. Collagen supplements have become increasingly popular in recent years as a way to support the body's natural collagen production and promote overall health and wellness.
Taking collagen supplements may offer a number of benefits, including improved joint health, increased bone density, and smoother, more youthful-looking skin. Additionally, collagen supplements may help support overall gut health and may even aid in weight loss efforts. Overall, incorporating collagen supplements into a healthy lifestyle can be a great way to support overall health and well-being as we age.
Is There a Best Time to Take Collagen?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the optimal time to take collagen may vary depending on individual factors and preferences. However, there are a few general guidelines that can help you determine the best time for you to take collagen:
- In the morning: Many people find that taking collagen in the morning is a good option (Collagen Coffee being one popular way to go about it), as it can help boost your energy and alertness at the start of the day. Additionally, taking collagen on an empty stomach may enhance its absorption and effectiveness - although the scientific evidence to support this claim is inconclusive at the moment.
- Before or after exercise: Collagen can be beneficial for supporting joint health and muscle recovery (due to its high protein content), so taking it before or after exercise may be beneficial for those of us that do regular workouts.
- At night: Some people prefer to take collagen before bed, as it can help promote relaxation and support restful sleep. Additionally, taking any protein powder with a slow digesting liquid (such as fatty milk) can provide a consistent source of amino acids to our body during sleep.
Ultimately, the best time to take collagen will depend on your individual needs and preferences. It is recommended to experiment with different times and doses to find what works best for you and stay within the recommended dosage.
The Best Time to Take Collagen for Weight Loss
There is limited scientific evidence to support the use of collagen for weight loss, and more research is needed to fully understand its effects. However, some people may find that taking collagen supplements helps them feel fuller for longer, which can potentially lead to reduced calorie intake and weight loss.
If you're considering taking collagen supplements for weight loss, the best time to take them may be before meals. This is because collagen may help suppress appetite and reduce hunger, making it easier to stick to a calorie-controlled diet. Taking collagen supplements before a meal may also help slow down the absorption of carbohydrates and promote feelings of fullness.
It's important to note that collagen supplements should not be used as a replacement for a healthy diet and exercise routine. If you're looking to lose weight, it's important to focus on making sustainable lifestyle changes that include regular exercise and a balanced, nutrient-rich diet.
Consume Only High Quality Collagen Supplements
Even more important than timing, is the quality of the Collagen Powder you are looking to add to your diet.
There are two key things you need to keep in made when determining the quality of Collagen powder:
- No additives - Collagen is a great supplement on its own and should not be packaged with additional sweeteners, flavors, artificial colors or any other additives
- High quality source - make sure the Collagen comes from grass fed and pasture raised cows (if you're taking Beef Collagen) or from wild caught fish (if you're taking Marine Collagen)
Zen Principle® Collagen is sourced only from the best ingredients - North Atlantic Cod in the case of Marine Collagen, and cattle from Argentina and Brazil in the case of Beef Collagen. It includes no additives, fillers or additional flavors - the only ingredients present in our products are high quality hydrolyzed collagen peptides that your body needs.